THE SULTANHANI CAPPADOCIA THE SULTANHANI DATE
The Sultanhanı on the road between Aksaray and Konya was built by the Seldjuk Sultan Alaeddin Keykubad in 1229. It is one of the most outstanding examples of Turkish art on Anatolian soil and covers an area of 4500 square meters.
This “han” is composed of a winter and a summer section, and resembles a real fortress with its unending walls and watch towers.
Even the name of the chief construction worker, Muhammed bin Çavlan, is mentioned on a medallion of the inscript at the portal. Through the very ornate portal of the caravanserai we enter the inner courtyard where we see the rooms, the bath, and the storerooms lined one after the other. Right in the middle of the courtyard there is a small mosque (mescit) which rests upon a high tower.
A second portal leads us to the covered section of the caravanserai which is divided into five esplanades. Over the middle esplanade which is higher than the rest, we see a dome that lets more daylight enter the place.